Find the best dog paw protectors from our well-researched review of the top ten dog paw protectors.
We humans with our cozy shoes are not all that worried about the roads and surfaces that we have to walk on, but delicate pooch paws can easily start to get damaged because of road salt, cold or hot weather conditions. In this article, we have offered the correct solution in the form of dog paw protection waxes and traction pads.
Because there are such a large number of products available in the market, it can be very time consuming for our readers to identify and research products on their own. We have tried to make their task simple by reviewing the ten best dog paw protection products on the market.
- The 10 Best Dog Paw Protectors of 2021 (Reviews)
- 1. Musher’s Secret Pet Paw Protection Wax for Dogs
- 2. Baely’s Paw Shield Dog Paw Protection Wax
- 3. Pawlife Dog Paw Balm – Natural Protection for Dry Cracked Paws
- 4. LOOBANI PadGrips Dog Paw Protector Anti-Slip Traction Pads
- 5. Natural Dog Company Paw Soother | All-Natural Ingredients
- 6. Paw Nectar Organic and Natural Paw Wax
- 7. Bodhi Dog Organic Paw Balm for Dogs
- 8. Beach & Dog Co Paw Grip – All Natural & Organic Formula for Dogs
- 9. VALFRID Dog Paw Protector Rugged Anti Slip Traction Pads
- 10. Burt’s Bees for Pets Lotion for Dry or Cracked Paws
- Our Buyer’s Guide on Dog Paw Protectors
The 10 Best Dog Paw Protectors of 2021 (Reviews)
- Contains Vitamin-E & BEESWAX
- Protect from sand, hot pavement, snow & salt
- NON-allergenic & NON-Staining
The benefits of using paw protection are obvious, but there are such a large number of products available on the market that it can be difficult to gauge where to begin. We have therefore put together reviews of the best ten paw protection products in this section. Let us take a closer look at each in a bit of detail:
1. Musher’s Secret Pet Paw Protection Wax for Dogs
The best part about this Musher’s Secret wax is that it contains generous amounts of vitamin E. As it’s really easy to apply, you will not have any issues putting it on the paws. It can protect your dog from hot roadsides, melting ice and salt and even hot sand. Fundamentally, it is ideal for hunting, mushing or walking activities.
- Contains high amounts of vitamin E
- Can protect against heat as well as the cold
- Can heal wounds and scratches on the paws
- Might be a bit harsh for dogs with sensitive paws
2. Baely’s Paw Shield Dog Paw Protection Wax
The Baely’s protection wax may be a bit tricky to apply – but once it has been applied, it stays. The wax creates a thin layer between your dog’s precious paws and the walking surface, soothes any irritation and at the same time moisturizes the paw pads. This product is just great for dogs that always like to be in the thick of the action.
The wax, butter, and oils in its ingredients are pure and natural. The quality of ingredients is so great that it is safe even for humans so you can feel assured that your pooch is receiving the best treatment. It is perfectly safe even if the pooch licks and ingests some out of curiosity.
- Both heals and protects
- Natural, organic ingredients
- Packaged in a “stay fresh” canister for long life
- Made using socially responsible practices
- Safe to be licked
- It’s difficult to get out of the container to apply
- Dogs can find the wax palatable and may lick it off before it has a chance to work
3. Pawlife Dog Paw Balm – Natural Protection for Dry Cracked Paws
Pad Rescue’s balm formula treats your pup’s dry, cracked sensitive paws without the synthetic ingredients other creams contain. This formula comprises cocoa butter, shea butter and coconut oil to protect your pup from the outdoors that he loves so much being a part of.
You can just do away with those silly dog boots and just apply a layer of this wax to your dog’s pads for the ultimate protection during the winter chill.
- It comes in a lovely vanilla scent
- The balm utilizes three types of moisturizing oils and butter, including shea, coconut, and cocoa
- Works for both the paws and nose
- Comes with a moneyback guarantee
- The lid doesn’t stay on well
4. LOOBANI PadGrips Dog Paw Protector Anti-Slip Traction Pads
Loobani Padgrips is designed for senior dogs or special canines that need extra traction. Each application, comprising 4 pieces, usually lasts between 2-7 days depending on your dog’s activity level. Using hypoallergenic adhesive, non-toxic and environmentally friendly substance, a soft breathable rug with heavy rubber spots is stuck to the paws to increase friction.
Keeps your dog’s paws clean and safe from slipping on the bare hardwood laminate floor or getting burnt from hot pavement indoor or outdoor. Most pooches, who refuse to wear boots and socks, do not mind these pads at all. You don’t need to cut them to fit or apply glue as is the case with other similar products.
- Dogs reluctant to wear boots and socks will be open to using the padgrips
- Keeps dog’s paw clean and safe from slipping on smooth hardwood laminate floor
- Prevents dog’s paws from getting scorched on hot pavement
- There are complaints that the padgrips don’t stick very well to the dog’s paws
5. Natural Dog Company Paw Soother | All-Natural Ingredients
The Natural Dog Company Paw Soother Balm will both soothe and moisturize paws that need to be cared for. It also works well as protection to stop the problems from cropping up in the first place. You’d notice that the dry, scaly paws become softer immediately after applying.
This balm comes in the stick form, all that needs to be done is twist it, apply and then remove the excess. And it’s edible so no need to fear that paw licking will cause tummy upsets.
- The stick form makes it incredibly easy to apply
- Made from organic ingredients that are all vegan
- Starts working immediately after applying
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee
- The small size means that you can run out pretty quickly
6. Paw Nectar Organic and Natural Paw Wax
This Paw Nectar Paw Wax contains a ton of ingredients that work in tandem to soothe and heal any cracks that may be hurting your active fur baby. It’s natural and organic too, so you don’t have to worry about your pooch ingesting any toxic synthetic chemicals. There’s nothing in this wax that you can’t use on yourself and it also smells great.
If you or the pooch are not delighted with the wax for any reason, it has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Smell is pleasing
- Contains only organic ingredients
- Quick and easy applicability
- Can be applied on cracked or injuries paws without causing additional pain
- Can be hard to get out of the tin
- Might require heating up before applying
7. Bodhi Dog Organic Paw Balm for Dogs
The Bodhi Dog Organic Paw Balm soothes, moisturizes and can brief relief to any cracked, dry, or itchy paw pads. There are only a handful of ingredients in this balm and they are all-natural and organic.
The ingredients are not only organic, but they are locally sourced and sustainable. This palm can also be used to prevent dry paws even if they are healthy right now.
- Locally sourced ingredients, sustainable
- No fillers or chemicals
- Great for hyperkeratosis
- Made in the USA
- It’s a USDA certified organic product
- Some dogs may find the smell offensive
- It is solid in consistency and could be difficult to apply
8. Beach & Dog Co Paw Grip – All Natural & Organic Formula for Dogs
Paw Grip is made from harder waxes when compared to other paw waxes. When the natural oils have been absorbed the hard waxes remain on the pads and provide traction on the slippery and smooth surfaces.
This balm also brings quick relief from dry, chapped and cracked paw pads with its natural oils and vitamin E formula. It also offers a nourishing wax barrier to protect the paws from hot pavements in the summer and from snow and salt in the winter.
It comes in a convenient stick form that just needs twisting for application. The product comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Made from harder waxes to offer traction to pads on smooth slippery surfaces
- Provides protective barrier from hot pavement in summer and snow and salt in the winter
- All-natural, organic formula
- The stick form makes the job of applying the wax a lot easy
- May require warming to make the product spreadable
9. VALFRID Dog Paw Protector Rugged Anti Slip Traction Pads
This comes as a pack of 24 traction pads, six sets for four paws. Ensure that the dog’s paws are clean before sticking. This will improve the strength of stickiness.
Made from non-toxic environmentally friendly material with a soft and breathable texture with rubber spots will increase friction so that your dog is ready for the adventure. The traction pads use hypoallergenic certified adhesive. Keeps your dog paws clean and safe from slipping on the floors or getting burned by hot pavements.
- Six sets of traction pads for four paws
- Rubber spots on the pads will increase friction so that you do is prepared for adventure
- The hypoallergenic adhesive used to stick the traction pads
- Very hard on the dog’s fur and skin while removing
10. Burt’s Bees for Pets Lotion for Dry or Cracked Paws
Burt’s Bees is a brand that has been known since 1984 for their lotions, which is good for both cats and dogs. Some of the main ingredients are rosemary, which is used for moisturizing and olive oil, which is used as a smoothening agent.
- Made from natural ingredients
- You can also apply it on the dog’s nose
- Can balance the pH of your dog
- It can be used for dogs as well as cats
- Tastes so good that dogs may lick it off
- Not very good for noses
Our Buyer’s Guide on Dog Paw Protectors
This section covers factors that need to be considered before purchasing dog paw protectors, the different types of dog paw protectors available on the market and the ingredients to look for in a dog paw protector. We have also included a brief write up on why your dog’s paws need protection and a few FAQs towards the end.
What to Consider Before Purchasing Dog Paw Protectors
Before we start discussing the important factors, let us understand what dog paw wax is and how it works so that you can choose the best one. A dog pad cream is a type of substance used to protect your dog’s paws and keep them moisturized. If the dog’s paw is dry, it may crack or even start bleeding, especially during the winters. The wax hydrates the paws so that the bleeding can be prevented.
It also protects the dog’s paws from toxic substances that your dog is likely to step on while walking on the roads. Dogs like to lick their paws when they get home. If they do this, they are likely to end up ingesting some of those chemicals. Paw balms will not allow them to get infected.
Paw Protectors are like letting your dog wear dog boots but without the actual boots.
Now that you know what dog paw protectors are, let us now discuss what to look for in a dog paw balm.
Type of Dog Paw Protector & its Application
You can use several types of moisturizers on your dog’s paws. In fact, you can buy several types of paw protectors. Though all of them have pretty much the same effect, it is their texture and your dog’s preference that should help you decide. A dog paw protector can be in the form of paw butter, soother, lotion, waxes, balm, boots, etc.
The next important thing that you need to consider are the ingredients used. The more natural the ingredients are, the better it would be for your dog. Choose a brand that has no toxic ingredients. Some ingredients such as mineral oils and petroleum should be avoided.
Other ingredients that should be avoided include zinc oxide, lidocaine, diclofenac, hydrocortisone, and calcipotriene. These ingredients may be safe for humans but they are very toxic to dogs. Ingredients that are safe for dogs are shea butter, vitamin E, beeswax, coconut oil, rosemary extract, and lavender oil.
Always prefer a dog paw balm with natural ingredients over one with chemicals.
Price and Brand
The last but not the least important is the price and brand of moisturizer you want to buy. Because you will be applying the product on your dog’s paws, make sure you are buying the best one around. Buying the best dog paw moisturizer is about choosing the right brand.
Why Does my Dog Need Paw Protection?
Dog paw balm is a substance designed to coat dog’s paws and protect them from cold and hot weather, injury and infection.
Harsh climate shouldn’t prevent your dog from going on walks or playing outside but dry, cracked paws aren’t fun and may leave your dog lazy and sleeping most of his day away.
One option is to buy dog boots, but there are some dogs that may not walk in them comfortably and a balm can be a great alternative.
If your dog is as adventurous as you and loves hiking through mountainous terrain or whether he is satisfied with a stroll in the neighborhood park, his paws need some form of protection.
FAQs About Dog Paw Protectors
There are several reasons why a dog’s paws may dry up. The weather is the most common one. During winter or summer, paws dry up. The paws may even get burnt or scorched by the hot roads in the summer.
Other reasons can be allergic reactions to chemicals. For instance, when your dog walks on snow in the winter, his paws will be exposed to chemicals. Also, when your dog walks all over your lawn in the summer, he may suffer an allergic reaction to fertilizers.
Most dog paw protectors work in a similar way to a pair of shoes or socks. You put the protector on your dog’s foot and secure it using an elastic band, or a velcro strap. The fabric and the sole of the dog paw protectors erect a barrier between your dog’s feet and the ground. It is ideally suited for dogs that go hiking with their owners or need to go on walks in rainy/snowy conditions.
Though dry dog paws don’t really sound alarming, it is indeed a serious condition for dogs. A dog’s paws are meant to be soft and smooth. Therefore, if your dog’s paws are dry or cracked up, your dog could have a difficult time walking on hard surfaces such as pavements and sidewalks. In some instances, cracking or dryness may also eventually cause bleeding which could ultimately cause infections.
Therefore, it is very important to buy dog paw lotion or dog paw wax to prevent dryness. A dog paw balm is especially needed during the winter and summer when the dog is susceptible to cracked paws.
Mostly, pet owners will apply paw protection to their pet’s paws and toes during the winter as they want to protect them from the ice and snow as well as the salt that is put on the roads. This salt can easily cause an infection, which is why a layer of protection is so important. However, it is advisable to use paw protection wax all throughout the year.
Before you and your dog go out for a walk, apply a layer of wax first. This is because you do not know what the paws could come in contact with – hot pavements or grit on the road. You can also use paw bandages if your dog already suffers from cracked or dry feet.
Snow can hurt a dog’s paws in a few ways. First, the freezing conditions can cause damage to the paws. Second, salt which is used to help melt snow on the city’s roads can cause irritation to the dog’s paws. Most pet owners will apply paw protection to their pooch’s paws and toes during the winter months as they want to protect them from both the ice as well as the salt.
The Final Note
Many dogs want to enjoy life and have fun rather than let us know when they are in pain. It is therefore hard to know when your dog is suffering and vets advise us to keep checking their paws. The weather can take a toll on everything and your pup’s paws are not to be left behind. Both chilly winter mornings and scorching summers can lead to harsh surfaces and your pooch’s paws will require protection from the elements.
A good quality paw wax will keep your dog comfortable on those long walks, and belying popular belief, paw waxes are not only a remedy for sore feet but they can also be a great preventive measure too.