We tested 50+ best dog balls to provide you the safest as well as entertaining dog balls for your pooch.
Isn’t it annoying when Fido runs after feral cats in your neighborhood or torments the birds in your garden? It is irritating that the dog is scaring the birds and disturbing other fauna in the neighborhood, but these are traits that dogs continue to retain since their days as predators in the past.
It is our responsibility as pet parents to provide them harmless ways to tap their instinctive abilities to scamper, run, and chase. There can be no better way than to provide your doggie ball toys which he can run after or chase to stay healthy and fit. We have reviewed 15 dog balls that we believe could be the answer to your problem.
- The 15 Best Dog Balls Reviews of 2023
- 1. OurPets IQ Treat Ball Interactive Dog Toy
- 2. Jolly Pets 8″ Soccer Ball
- 3. Gnawsome 2.5” Spiky Squeaker Dog Ball
- 4. Chuckit! Ultra Ball for Dogs
- 5. Allstar Innovations Wobble Wag Giggle Ball
- 6. Chuckit! Max Glow Ball for Dogs
- 7. Monster K9 Indestructible Dog Ball
- 8. JW Hol-ee Roller Original Treat Dispensing Dog Ball
- 9. Pet Qwerks Talking Babble Ball Interactive Dog Toy
- 10. Omega Paw Tricky Treat Ball for Dogs
- 11. SnuG Rubber Dog Balls
- 12. Chuckit! Indoor Ball Dog Toy
- 13. Hartz Dura Play Bacon Scented Dog Ball
- 14. KONG Squeak Air Balls Dog Toy (6 Pack)
- 15. Pet Zone IQ Treat Ball for Dogs
- Our Buyers’ Guide for Pet Dogs
- Why Does Your Pet Need a Dog Ball
- Types of Dog Balls
- How to Select the Right Dog Ball?
- FAQs about Dog Balls
The 15 Best Dog Balls Reviews of 2023
The OurPets IQ Treat Ball is the best dog ball because it teaches your pet active feeding where playing exercises his body and he gets rewarded for it in the form of treats. The ball can be easily disassembled to clean and is made from completely non-toxic material. It is a sort of slow feeder for your canine that will make him work for his food.
We tested numerous dog balls and are presenting to you reviews of 15 from among which we believe that you would be able to select one that your canine buddy would be thrilled to play with.
1. OurPets IQ Treat Ball Interactive Dog Toy
This dog ball is designed to make treat-dispensing challenging for your dog with an adjustable difficulty level. Your canine will have to make extra efforts to get the treats to come out when the difficulty level is set as hard.
You may fill the ball with treats or kibble. Allow the pet to roll the ball and play to provide healthy exercise to your dog that will also keep him mentally stimulated. The treat ball teaches your pet active feeding where playing exercises his body and he gets rewarded for having exercised the body.
Moreover, it is easy to wash and dishwasher friendly. You just have to twist the toy to clean each compartment. Also, it is made from high-quality material to tolerate rough play as our pet buddies get excited. The treat ball is also non-toxic and safe for dogs. The toy is not recommended for large dogs as they may be able to destroy it easily.
- Great toy for dogs that love to chase
- A kind of slow feeder for dogs that makes them work for their food
- Toy breeds small jaws may get trapped in the opening
- Large breeds may be able to break the toy easily
2. Jolly Pets 8″ Soccer Ball
This toy is completely made in the US and designed to give your pet many hours of pleasure playing with the ball while being tough enough to withstand the sharpness of canine teeth and last for a long time.
Though this ball is not designed in the conventional black-and-white color scheme as most other soccer balls are, your dog will not mind it at all. It is a great option for owners who love to play with their large dogs, as the ball is of regulation size.
- This ball appears to better withstand the teeth of dogs than many other toys
- Dogs love the bounciness of the ball and also how it feels between their jaws
- Ball of the same size as a regulation soccer ball, great option for large dogs
- A few owners have reported that their dog was able to destroy the toy while a few other complain that the ball will stick to their doggie’s teeth
3. Gnawsome 2.5” Spiky Squeaker Dog Ball
This toy comes with a loud internal squeaker and has a spiky texture so as to massage the gums of your doggie. The unique design of the toy will ensure only fun without any choking hazard.
The different colors make it possible to play with your pet canine during the day or night. Most importantly, it is soft, safe, durable and can be used to play either at home, yard, park or on the shore.
Made from food-grade thermoplasticized rubber, its size is suitable for small dogs.
- The soft, spiky texture will give your canine a good gum massage
- Can be used to play at home or outdoors
- Will ensure your dog has only fun minus choking hazards
- Suitable only for small dogs
4. Chuckit! Ultra Ball for Dogs
This ultra dog ball is made from bouncy natural rubber and has high buoyancy. The colors are such that it will be visible to your dog from a long distance.
The company claims that the ball is great for pools and ponds. The ball is available in a range of sizes starting from small to extra-large and everything in between.
- This ball really bounces and dogs love it
- Very convenient to clean by simply wiping it
- The toy is chew-proof, the material is sturdy yet flexible
- Very durable and can last even for years together
- Few users have reported large size balls torn up easily by their canine
5. Allstar Innovations Wobble Wag Giggle Ball
This noisemaking dog toy that will quickly become your dog’s favorite. There are 6 clutch pockets around the surface of the ball allowing the dog to grab the ball and carry it easily.
When the ball moves, it makes a unique giggle sound that will excite your pup and attract them into longer, more rewarding play sessions.
Being made from flexible and durable phthalate-free vinyl, it is pretty safe for your pooch. The ball uses simple tubes to produce the noise and no batteries are used, making it long-lasting and easy to maintain.
- Easy for the dog to grab and carry
- Made from phthalate-free vinyl and is very safe
- Long-lasting and easy to maintain
- Few users reported that the noise scares their dogs
6. Chuckit! Max Glow Ball for Dogs
Glow in the dark allows pets and parents to play even after it gets dark. You just have to hold the ball in bright sunlight for 5 minutes for 20 minutes of illuminated play. It is made from high-quality, photoluminescent material to provide recreation to your doggie without compromising on its safety.
The glow dog ball has a smooth surface and pet parents can easily clean by wiping off dirt and slobber.
The surface texture of the glowing ball is such that it allows your dog to grip properly while playing fetch. The balls are available in four sizes ranging from small to extra-large.
- A useful toy to play engagingly with the dog even after dark
- Smooth surface makes it easy for pet parents to clean
- Surface texture designed to allow firm grip for dogs
- Few users have complained that the ball doesn’t glow all that much even after leaving it for a long time in the sunlight
7. Monster K9 Indestructible Dog Ball
This ball has been made out of the toughest, industrial-grade natural rubber. The toy is solid, with a shock-absorbing design and completely resistant to puncturing. The company claims it is completely indestructible by even behemoth dogs.
The toy has been tested on aggressive chewers such as German Shepherds, Mastiffs, Pitbulls, and many other aggressive chewers.
Just like a baseball in size, this toy is easy to throw and the perfect size for any medium or large-sized dog.
The quality of rubber used in making the ball is completely safe and non-toxic for your canine.
- Virtually indestructible toy
- Ball size makes it easy to throw
- The rubber material is 100% safe and non-toxic
- Users have contested the company’s claims that the toy is indestructible
8. JW Hol-ee Roller Original Treat Dispensing Dog Ball
This treats dispensing dog ball has a patented, open design, stretchy material suitable to dispense treats of all shapes and sizes to make playtime really recreational. The ball has been made from a safe, non-toxic rubber.
This toy enables your doggie to learn problem-solving skills while working to remove treats from the Hol-ee Roller. The soft rubber design has hexagonal cut-outs, allowing canines to breathe through the toy for safe, protracted playtime.
The Hol-ee Roller is available in different sizes-small, medium and large – to accommodate different chewing styles. The soft rubber is also an excellent material for teething puppies.
- Hol-ee Roller is versatile and can suit all kinds of interactive play including fetch, toss, and tug
- Available in varied sizes to cater to different chewing styles
- Open design allows canines to breathe through the toy during prolonged play sessions
- Users have reported issues with getting the treats to stay trapped inside the ball
- Some users also have reported issues with claims of durability
9. Pet Qwerks Talking Babble Ball Interactive Dog Toy
This ball is a motion-activated interactive dog toy, which is so sensitive that even air from his breath or the vibrations of him walking by are enough to set off the babble ball. It will tease your doggie and demand playtime.
Your canine will think this ball is alive as it calls him/her to chase, track and jump in your home or the yard. Each ball is already fitted with batteries. It can also turn itself off on its own after your pet is done playing.
- Good toy for making the dog play on his own
- The toy is motion-activated and interactive in design
- The babble ball can turn itself off after your doggie is done with playing
- Users have reported that the babble ball did not utter a single comprehensible phrase
- Users have also complained that it can be easily destroyed by active chewers
10. Omega Paw Tricky Treat Ball for Dogs
This ball is made from 100% safe vinyl and dispenses treats for your doggie during playtime.
The soft, pliable, textured surface makes it easy for the canine to grip while playing.
The ball is easy to fill with treats and is about 5 inches in diameter.
- Interactive toy that provides healthy exercise while dispensing treats
- Easy to pack treats inside the ball
- Users have complained that the toy was easily destroyed by their doggie
11. SnuG Rubber Dog Balls
These are colorful rubber dog balls that are perfect for playing fetch and other games and work with all standard ball launchers.
Each order delivers three colorful balls so that you have two spare ones even after the first gets destroyed.
While most other dog balls are made from plastic foam, this one is made from food grade heavy duty rubber that is thick, tough and durable.
The same size as that of a standard tennis ball, this ball is great for pools, ponds, and outdoors. This toy is also very easy to clean.
- Each order delivers three colorful balls so that you have two spare ones
- Made from non-toxic, food-grade heavy-duty rubber
- Users have claimed that the toy is definitely not indestructible
12. Chuckit! Indoor Ball Dog Toy
This is a plush ball with a lightweight design that will not damage surfaces in your home while providing the much-needed bounce that your doggie will find delightful.
The ball is circular in design and can be rolled across tiles, or hardwood floors for pets that enjoy chasing along the ground to drive away boredom.
Made from soft fabric, these balls make great indoor toys for puppies.
The ball is easy to spot because of the eye-catching blue and orange color pattern.
For longer throws and slobber-free pickup, Chuckit! Indoor Ball is compatible with Chuckit!Indoor Launcher.
- The eye-catching orange and blue color pattern makes it easy to spot
- The plush ball with a lightweight design will not harm surfaces in your home while keeping your canine entertained
- Made from soft fabric, this toy is apt for puppies
- This is for exclusively playing indoors
13. Hartz Dura Play Bacon Scented Dog Ball
These are not only fun to throw and bounce, but Dura Play toys can also float and can be easy to clean.
Being soft and flexible to touch, this toy is perfect for dogs of all ages (even senior dogs and puppies).
The exterior is made of firm natural latex for durability, whereas the interior is made from foam technology for a chewy, bouncy, squeaky toy.
Moreover, dogs find the toy’s bacon scent irresistible.
- The toy has bacon scent to entice your canine to play with
- A perfect plaything for dogs of all ages
- Can float and can be used to play in the pool or pond
- There are questions over the durability of the product
14. KONG Squeak Air Balls Dog Toy (6 Pack)
These balls are made out of non-abrasive tennis material that will not wear down your doggie’s teeth. The balls can make squeaker sound to induce pets to play with it.
This toy is perfect to play a game of fetch. You can either use a dog ball launcher or simply use your hands to launch the ball in the air to play with your fido.
- Non-abrasive tennis material of the ball is gentle on your canine’s teeth
- The toy is perfect for a game of fetch
- These balls do not withstand the test of aggressive chewers
15. Pet Zone IQ Treat Ball for Dogs
This one is a treat-dispensing toy that will keep your pet physically active and mentally alert. Fill the toy with your dog’s favorite treats and adjust the difficulty levels.
The toy is made from hard plastic that can be disassembled for the purpose of cleaning. Small-sized treats or kibble can easily fit inside the toy. This toy is just right for medium to extra-large sized dogs.
- This treat-dispensing toy can be easily disassembled for cleaning
- Keeps the pet physically active and mentally alert
- Clever dogs can learn to unscrew the toy and get to the treats inside
Our Buyers’ Guide for Pet Dogs
In our buyer’s guide, we have discussed the different types of balls so that our readers can relate them with the products that we have reviewed. We have also discussed features to look for while selecting a dog ball in this section. Lastly, we have also answered a few FAQs to remove any remaining doubts that readers may have with regards to dog balls.
Why Does Your Pet Need a Dog Ball
Dog balls are immensely important because they help to fulfill your pet’s instinctive needs to run and chase. It provides a great workout for your canine companion and drains them of their energy so that they do not spend it on destructive purposes such as chewing and hunting. Dog balls are important for the following reasons:
Give your dog exercise
Dogs require a lot of exercises to remain in good health. They also require to burn off calories and the chance to run around. The great thing about balls is that the owner doesn’t have to do the running. It is only the dog that does all the running. Thus even if the owner is disabled in any way. he/she can still use a ball to play with their pet.
It can build a bond
Dogs bond with their guardians in many ways. Playing with the owner is just one of those ways. When dogs spend enough time playing games such as fetch with owners, they are able to build a strong rapport with them.
Can improve a dog’s behavior
Playing games such as fetch using a ball will allow the pet to burn off a lot of energy. This leaves the dog with very little pent-up energy, which can otherwise be used to behave erratically. When the owner throws the ball for the pet canine, the dog’s respect for the owner grows manifold. When the dog has positive interaction with somebody, they are far more likely to carry out their orders.
Balls allow dogs to use their instincts
Dogs have a long history of being hunters though they have become totally domesticated now. Still, they continue to retain many traits from their days as hunters. When the dog plays with a ball, it gets an opportunity to use all of these instincts. Playing with the ball will leave the dog with a feeling that it is not going against its nature in leading a domesticated existence. Playing with a ball will give the dog an opportunity to explore all those latent abilities in a safe and healthy manner.
Types of Dog Balls
It is important that we know what are the different types of dog ball available on the market so that you can relate the products according to their type. Researching products along with the category they belong to can help to add a new perspective to your exercise of buying the product.
Spiked balls are made from rubber, which is durable. They can bounce and offer the most pleasurable experience to your dog that is fond of playing. The soft spikes on the ball provide massage to Fido’s teeth and gums. It is thus great for both chewing as well as playing.
Rope Balls are made out of pure cotton fibers twisted tightly into the shape of a ball. The dog can play and chew on this for hours even when you are not home. Rope balls help the dog to stay active while looking after its dental hygiene.
These balls are safe for your canine because they are made from non-toxic rubber. They are ideally suited to play fetch with the pet. Such balls come in various designs, colors, and sizes. Rubber balls can also resemble rugby balls, football, etc.
Squeaky balls are soft rubber balls that make a squeaky sound when pressed or chewed on. They come in varied designs resembling spiked balls or soft foam balls. These balls may also include LED lights of various colors. Such balls are a great medium of recreation for your dog and will keep him amused no end.
Treat Dispenser Balls
Such balls are designed to feed and play interactively with your dog. The balls have openings that can be stuffed with treats. Your dog will be kept active both physically and mentally while trying to get the treat dispensed from the ball. These balls are great to play and reward your dog at once.
How to Select the Right Dog Ball?
There are so many different dog balls available on the market that it can get a bit confusing which one should you opt for. We have identified certain parameters by which you can evaluate and assess a dog ball. Some of the main parameter’s are:
This is one of the most important factors to be borne in mind before shopping for a dog ball. It should not be very large for the pet may find it difficult to grab it with the mouth. It should not be too small for fear the pet might swallow it and start choking. The bigger the ball, the easier it can be spotted. The smaller the ball, the less visible it is.
Please give sufficient importance to how the manufacturer rates its product. If the label says it is for light to moderate chewers, then you should desist from buying if for your pet who is an aggressive chewer. Though this means one needs to consider the material used for the construction of the toy, it also means that one should be a great judge of the pet’s chewing behavior as well as jaw strength.
The label may well say that it is for power chewers, but if the material is not such that it can stand the force from your pet’s jaws then you may very well be looking for dog balls again pretty soon.
We have already mentioned that durability is also a function of the material that is used in manufacturing the toy. However, the company also decides the material to be used after considering the targeted pet. It may well be that the material is durable for light and moderate chewers but may not stand power chewing.
If durability is what you seek, then industrial-grade rubber material is best. Balls made from light rubber, and covered with felt, should be avoided if you want to play with your pet near water bodies as there are chances of the ball becoming soggy.
If you prefer playing in a small dog park, then bouncy balls should be avoided because they can bounce right over the fences. Be sure of understanding the pros and cons of material used in the ball before making a decision to purchase.
The weight of the ball is also worth considering. Even if you can afford to buy a ball launching machine to not strain your arm while throwing a heavy ball, your pet may have difficulty in holding it in the mouth. If the ball is light, you may not be able to throw it much farther. Also, a heavy ball will need more space to throw it in.
FAQs about Dog Balls
As a matter of fact, the instinct to chase a ball is related to their predatory drive from the past. When you throw a ball, its erratic movement is similar to that of prey their ancestors used to chase and kill. And when the dog is in this prey drive, it is actually experiencing a drug-like induced high as the dog’s body secretes endorphins that make them feel good. This high can be addictive and very well explain why they keep wanting to do it even if we ignore them by trying to hide the ball and yelling at them to stop.
The best dog balls for heavy chewers are large ones made from hard rubber. It is not advisable to give heavy chewers balls with LED lights or spikes as chewing may damage the lights. The dog may also end up swallowing the LED light, which can endanger its life.
Nothing brings a soccer game to an end faster than a punctured ball. If your dog is a heavy chewer, it will enjoy puncturing the ball with his teeth. Dogs simply love to destroy toys. A traditional soccer ball just cannot tolerate such hostile chewing attacks because it is too vulnerable.
If you want to play soccer with your pooch then you should invest in a dog-proof soccer ball. Made from tough materials like rubber, these balls do not deflate easily. Even if your canine’s sharp teeth pierce the surface of the soccer ball, it will not puncture.
A dog playing on his own is great but make sure he’s safe. Remove balls that are damaged or those he can easily swallow. If you give him an interactive ball with food, balance out his nutrition intake with regular meals.
Dogs are a man’s best friend and by playing with themselves, they become friends unto themselves too. Give your dog a ball for times when you are going to be away from home. Even after playing for the whole day, the dog still feels that playing with us is the best thing, so do throw a ball for him after you come back.
It is okay to occasionally play with dogs using a golf ball. However, if your dog is fond of chewing, then regularly using golf balls may leave them without many of their teeth before the dog reaches old age. Golf balls are made from fiberglass, which acts like sandpaper to wear the teeth down. There have been cases where the dogs have filed down their teeth almost to gum-levels, so balls made from fiberglass must be avoided at all costs.
Playing with toy balls is essential to keep the dog physically active and mentally alert. Apart from a healthy exercise, playing games such as fetch with the guardian can strengthen the bond between him and the pet.
We have dedicated a full article to dog balls because of these two important reasons. We hope that the pet guardians will realize the importance of dog balls and provide one to their pets to ensure their overall well-being.