Check out best cat doors for interior and exterior installation which are picked after reviewing 37+ products for 10+days by teams of experts.
Does your cat need to shuffle between rooms or explore the great outdoors? It is highly likely they will scratch the door or bang their heads against it. Despite loving her so much, it becomes so annoying to act as your kitty’s doorkeeper.
You can now save yourself the trouble by getting a cat door or cat flap. Some cat doors even help you to be selective and decide which cats to allow free entry and exit and which ones to be confined indoors.
Read the entire article to know more about the best options to allow greater mobility to your cats.
The 10 Best Cat Doors of 2022
- Best door for most pets
- Available in four sizes
- It’s extremely lightweight
We have taken up this exercise of reviewing ten individual products to spare our readers the trouble of having to research the products on their own to narrow down their search. The ten products listed here are perfect for cat owners looking for a solution to satisfy their cats’ craving to get a taste of life outdoors.
1. Ideal Pet Products Designer Series Ruff-Weather Cat Door
Irrespective of the weather, your kitty will want to go out and play or just want to breathe in the fresh air. But despite all the love you feel for the pet, it could be tiresome to play doorman for the cat.
This is where the Ideal Pet Products Designer Series Ruff-Weather Cat Door comes in handy. It’s designed for durability and will bring to an end your duties as a doorman.
This door is very durable but lightweight because it is made with structural foam molded plastic. It has a 3-inch air pocket between the two flaps acting as an excellent insulator preventing unnecessary energy losses.
- Flap size:15″ x 23.5″, Frame size: 19″ x 28.125″, Cutout size: 16.25″ x 25.75″
- For cats and dogs up to 12 lbs
- Color: grey
- Style: Flap
The vinyl flaps are weather-resistant and will not get disfigured when exposed to harsh climatic conditions. It’s aluminum telescoping frame makes installation a lot easier. Uses metallic bolts for mounting on walls or in other locations.
- Made from lightweight but durable plastic
- Double vinyl flaps create air-pocket for insulation
- Vinyl flaps can tolerate harsh climatic conditions
- Available in different sizes for different breeds
- Inner telescoping frame simplifies installation
- Flaps may prove heavy for small cats
- It isn’t very secure, the plastic flap can move in quickly when kicked
2. PetSafe Wall Entry Cat Door with Telescoping Tunnel
PetSafe’s door can be mounted on a wall to eliminate the trouble of having to open the door for your cat. It is available in small, medium and large sizes.
- Opening Size:
Small(5.25″ W x 7.5″ H); Medium(8.25″ W x 11.25″ H), Large(10.375″ W x 15.375″ H)
- Can fit in walls of varying thickness between 4.75 and 7.25 inches
- Style: Dual flaps
- Cat door for exterior wall
The small size is sufficient for a cat, but if you have a dog as well then you may need to consider the size of the dog before deciding which size to opt for. Because this pet door comes with a tunneling telescope, it can be fitted into walls of varying thicknesses. This product is apt for installation on exterior walls.
- It can be installed on several wall types including stucco, siding and brick
- Cutout template and side-by-side instructions included
- Controlled access and weather-resistant with the help of a slide-in closing panel
- Can be used for interior walls, preferable if used for exterior walls
- Not too good for cold weather conditions
- Cannot be fitted into walls thicker than 7.25 in
3. Depets Magnetic Cat Flap Door with 4 Way Lock
This product is a perfect solution for giving your cat access to any interior room while keeping you still in control. This works just right to give the cat access to food or the litter box when kept behind closed doors and prevent entry for the dog or kids.
The flap is transparent and allows the cat to see through, the exterior screen is waterproof, and the brush strip reduces noise from opening and closing the door.
- Size: Outer size 7.5″ x 7.8″ x 2″, Inner size 6.1″ x 6.3″, Cut-Out Size: 6.3″ x 6.7″
- For any door or wall 50 mm thick
- Suitable for cats up to 16 lbs
- Style: Flap
- Color: White
This product comes with a complete set of instructions for easy installation in windows, doors, cupboards, etc. The cat flap has a 4-way locking mechanism – out only, in-only, open and locked to control the in-out movement of your pet.
- Transparent flap that allows the pet to see through
- Brush strip reduces noise from opening and closing the door
- 4- way locking mechanism to give you control over kitty’s movement
- Instruction manual included on how to install
- The locking mechanism works erratically
- Kittens may find it difficult to push the flap open
4. The Kitty Pass Interior Cat Door
The Kitty Pass is an adorable and small pet door for cats with an attractive design. On the front side, is a unique round opening with carved cat ears. The backside has the cat’s tail carved on it.
- Size of opening: 7.5″x 6.5″
- Color: Semi-gloss white
- Pattern: Round shape opening
- For installation on doors with thickness: 1.25″ to 1.75″
The opening is wide allowing safe entry and exit. There are no flaps involved so there is no chance of tails getting trapped.
- Cat door for interior doors
- Does not require any eye offending screw holes to be drilled
- Made from durable material
- Does not have a locking mechanism
5. PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor for Cats | Collar Activated with SmartKey
Electronic cat doors offer the best way for your cat to access the areas without requiring any person to open the door. The smart feature about this cat door is that it will allow access through the door only to your pet and no other animal. This product can be used for interior as well as exterior doors.
- Automatic cat door
- Flap Opening: Small(5.5″x7.8″) Large: 11″16″
- Can fit the doors 1.5 in. – 2 in. thick
- Locking Mechanism: Locked, Unlocked and Automatic
A smart key has to be attached to your cat’s collar. The kitty will be only able to access this door if the smart key is attached to her collar. The smart door is programmable for up to 5 access keys so it works well for multiple cats. However, the additional access keys have to be purchased separately.
- Electronic smart-door prevents unwanted animals and strays from entering
- Easy to install with instructions provided with the purchase
- All hardware needed for installation included
- Can be programmed for auto entry/exit for up to 5 cats
- Batteries not included with the purchase
- Only one access key included with the order
- The access key is a bit large in size for kittens
6. Cat Mate Large Cat Flap Door
This product can be installed either in the door or the window. It is 10″ high and 2.25″ wide which makes it just right for cats of any size. The overall size of Cat Mate’s door flap is 9¼” x 10″ and the cutout size is 8¼” x 9″.
This product is also very easy to install using the cutout template and instructions manual provided with the order. Brush strips are provided on the sides of the cat flap openings for smooth and silent opening and closing of the door.
- Flap opening: 10″ high and 2.25″ wide
- 2″ thick self-lining
- 4-way locking mechanism
- Tamperproof cat flap
- Magnetic cat door
It has a 4-way locking feature to provide controlled access. Four different locking modes include open, in-only, out-only, or fully locked, making it very convenient for your cats to use the kitty door whenever required. The flap is transparent, weather-proof, brush-sealed and has a magnetic closure.
- Brush strip helps to make opening and closing of the flap a silent operation
- Cutout template and instructions manual included in the order
- Flap is weatherproof for complete protection
- Precise height-to-width ration right for cats of any size
- Suited for use as cat door for garage
- Strong magnets used that makes it difficult for small kittens to push open the flap
- Installation may be a bit difficult compared to other cat flaps
7. Cathole Interior Cat Door With A Grooming Brush
The Cathole Pet Door is an interior door that is laced with grooming and cleaning capabilities. This door has a brush around the flap opening to groom the cat while she is entering and exiting through the door.
In case your cat is playful and dirties herself a lot while playing, this should be the pet door of choice for you. This door also separates the litter-box area from the other visible areas. Installing this cat door will eliminate the need for opening the door to let the cat get from one room to the other.
- Size: 6″W x 8″H
- Possible to be installed in a door with a thickness of 2 inches
- Door with a grooming brush
- For pets up to 20 lbs
This feline door can be easily installed in under 30 minutes and can be accomplished without using extra screws or any other fastener. The additional benefit is that this cat door can be painted in any color to match the color of your door.
- It has a grooming brush around the flap which cleans and grooms the cat every time it passes through the door.
- Precise height-to-width ratio that will allow cats to comfortably move in and out
- Cutout template included in purchase which makes it easy to carve a hole in the door
- Relatively expensive than other doors of the same kind
- Improper molding of the grooming brush with the flap
8. SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap | 4 Way Lock
This is a pet door that will automatically open and close using a sensor. The door only will open for a microchip that has been implanted by a vet. It is also possible to use an RFID collar tag instead of having the microchip implanted by a vet.
This cat door can be easily fitted on doors, windows, and walls. The installation of this cat door is also very easy with the help of the cut-out template provided along with this product.
- Automatic door
- Flap opening: 4.75” (H) by 5.625” (W)
- 4-way locking mechanism
- Battery Operated (Requires 4 AA batteries)
This cat door product will prevent stray/unwanted animals from entering. The locking mechanism has four modes (different combinations of in/out) allowing different forms of entry.
- Supports microchip implants and RFID collar tags
- 4-way locking mechanism for access control
- Low battery indicator
- Low distance sensitivity
9. Purrfect Portal Interior Cat Door
This door will allow you to shut the door on that foul-smelling litter without having to lock the door in or out. This door is a means of giving the cat her own access to food and her bathroom and still keep your home smelling fresh.
- Product Dimensions: 6.5 x 1.8 x 8 inches
- Color: White
- Pattern: Cat face-shaped cutout
- For all interior doors 1.25″-1.75″ thick
The great thing about this interior cat door is that it is meant to last for years. Instead of using tape or glue for installation, the manufacturer uses self-drilling screws to hold your cat door in place.
- A cute cat-shaped design
- Keeps your indoor ambiance odor-free
- Easy back and forth access for large cats
- Foolproof installation procedure that doesn’t rely on tape or glue
- Only works as an interior cat door
- The door has not flap or cover
10. Perfect Pet TubbyKat Cat Door with 4 Way Lock
As the name suggests, this product is perfect for oversized cats that have eaten more kibble than they should. Everything from the construction to the security features is of high quality.
It is one of the easiest cat door installations. No unscrewing of the door is required. You just have to place the template, drill four holes in the corners, saw out the opening and install the door frame.
- Size of flap: 7 ½-inch by 10 ½-inch
- For large cats up to 25 lbs
- Can fit doors 1-1/4″ to 1-3/4“ thick
- Style: Flap
- Color: White(Frame), Transparent(Flap)
The door’s weatherproof design will ensure the insulation of your home. To prevent pests from entering your home, activate the in-built locking mechanism. Moreover, the flap is transparent and made from polycarbonate material.
- Works well for even oversized cats
- Installation does not require removing the door from the frame
- Weatherproof design of the flap will keep the house insulated
- 4-way locking mechanism
- The locking mechanism is not very satisfactory
- There were doubts expressed over the durability of the cat door as well
Our Buyer’s Guide for Cat Doors
If you are still unable to make up your mind about choosing a product, then we are also providing a buyer’s guide to remove any lingering confusion that you may have. Here, we are going to discuss different types of cat doors, factors that need to be kept in mind while selecting it and the process of installing. Finally, we have also included FAQs to satisfy the curiosity of the readers.
How is Cat Door Useful?
A cat door, also known as a cat flap, is a small portal in the wall, door or window that will allow entry/exit points to the cat without your assistance. Further, in many instances, the cat doors have features that allow entry/exit to only selected pets without allowing stray animals to enter your home.
Cat doors can serve several purposes. They can help to keep the stench from the litter-box locked or prevent the kids in the home from playing with the foul-smelling litter. You can also prevent the dog from accessing your kitty’s food. Cat flaps are also useful in instances when you want to allow freedom to the cats to either play outside or breathe in the fresh air outside.
Types of Cat Doors
For choosing the right cat door, you will need an elementary knowledge about the different types of feline access ways. You can choose one from the following alternatives:
These are installed directly on the doors. The primary consideration before selecting such cat doors should be the thickness of your door. Every manufacturer specifies the door thickness on which their product can easily fit.
As the name suggests, this type of cat door is installed in the wall. These are in many ways a sort of tunnel connecting the opposite ends of the cat door. This is because of the thicker / wider distance separating the interior and exterior outside surfaces of the wall.
Cat doors are also available that are specifically designed for windows. They come in the side-sliding model or a sash-style type. Installing this type of cat door can be a bit difficult though modern styles now use a combination of tempered safety glass and heavy-duty aluminum.
For Sliding Doors
These are also called patio doors and are very similar to the side-sliding cat doors for windows. However, these cat doors are made specifically for sliding doors. Installing them is pretty simple as one can always use the existing track of your sliding door.
The major concern pet parents have about installing pet doors is that other animals too may use it to enter the house. Electronic doors can help to prevent this using a lock and key mechanism. Only the cat that has the key will be able to enter through the door. The ‘key’ is a sensor tag that is worn by the cat and the lock is the sensor and trigger mechanism on the door. If the ‘key’ is nearby then the lock will sense it and open the door for the cat to easily pass through.
Here’s What You Should Consider Before Buying a Cat Door
You now have a fair idea regarding the different kinds of cat doors available on the market. The next step is to get a brief overview of what are the things to aspire for in a cat door.
Try to purchase something that is just right for your cat’s size. To get the minimum width of the door, measure the width of the cat and add an inch to the measurement. The next step is to measure the cat’s chest or torso height all the way from the shoulder to the lowest level of its chest or tummy, whichever is lower. Add an inch to this measurement as well to get the height of the door.
Flap Color and Shape
Cats have wide bodies and therefore you should look for cat doors with squarish designs. It is also preferable if the flap is transparent. Cats like to see beforehand where they are headed. Being instinctive predators, it is only natural that cats like to use a door panel that offers them a peek into the outside world.
Security of Access
There are different types of secure access in cat doors. There are doors that are freely accessible to both the pet cat as well as to other animals. There are also those that come with a 2-way lock. This system has both locking and unlocking mechanisms. Some doors with 4-way locking systems are also available. Certain systems allow in-only or out-only access. A decision on what type of system to opt for will depend on your pet and the presence of other animals in your neighborhood.
Ease of Installation
It is of utmost importance to look for a product that is easy to install. Selecting a product that will require you to hire a professional to set it up is not a very practical approach.
Just as it is the case with all other products, not all cat doors are made equally. Despite being similar in appearance, some products could turn out to be mediocre. There is no other conclusive way to ensure that the product you buy would be durable other than conducting your own research, survey and talking to other pet parents about their experiences.
How to Install a Cat Door?
Installation is pretty much a simple process. Each manufacturer will provide users with clear instructions about how to install their product on the wall, door or window. Reading the instructions carefully is the most important part.
While installing the flap on the door, it needs to be removed from the frame. After you have taken down the door, you can use the cutout template that usually comes with pet door products.
In normal circumstances, the template is adjusted at the center bottom of your door. It is then outlined and sawed to carve out the hole for a pet door. After this step, you just need to install as per the instructions of the manufacturer. Just remount the door into the frame after the installation is completed.
For those who are installing in the wall, the process is just the same except that no door needs to be removed from the frame. Instead, a hole will need to be cut out in the wall on the lines of the template provided by the manufacturer. A tunnel lining that will span the opposite sides of the pet door will have to be inserted depending on the thickness of the wall.
FAQs About Cat Doors
An automatic cat door is an electronic door and means that your pet does not have to push on the flap to open it. Instead, the door will detect a collar key worn by your pet and automatically open the flap.
There are limitations on where a cat door can be installed because of the construction of your home. These limitations have been overcome by designing products that can be installed in the doors, windows or walls giving you greater prospects to install it in a place that suits both you and your cat.
Simple cat door inserts with a plastic flap may cost as low as $25, whereas an insert for a paneled wooden door sufficient for a medium-sized dog may cost $150. An electronic sliding pet door for installing in a patio-door or a wall starts from $400 depending on the size.
Some cats may not be very open to the idea of going through a covered doorway, but most cats can be trained to use a cat door. While training, make sure that you don’t lock the door. That will make the cat hesitate to use the cat door even if it is unlocked.
Once the cat has realized that the door is a reliable and predictable opening, you can then possibly start locking the door at times when you feel that you want to restrict your pet indoors.
Experts are of the opinion that most cats will adapt over time if they are physically fit to hop through the flap. Some older cats may not be able to use a cat door due to issues related to mobility.
To get your kitty to use the cat door, make it easy as well as worthwhile for her to go through. Start the training on a hungry kitty, using treats and a door that is fully open. Throw some treats through the door and make the cat reach out for them by inserting his head through the doorway.
Once the cat consistently starts putting his head through the doorway to reach for the treats, go a step further and toss the treats a little further. Within no time, you will have the kitty going all the way through the open door to reach the delicious rewards.
The next step is to teach your kitty how to tackle the closed door. To get the kitty to push at the door, keep the door partially open and repeat the process of throwing the treats progressively further. Slowly, after a number of trials, make the opening smaller and smaller so that kitty has to push more and more to get through.
If the cat is sufficiently hungry, the training will be quick. Once she feels that it is safe to push through the hanging thing, she will start going in and out at will. Even the most nervous cats can be taught to use the cat door in a dozen or so practice sessions.
Cat doors are an important way to allow controlled mobility to your kitty without any intervention on your part. We hope that you have enjoyed the article in which we have tried to narrow down your search for a cat door that is just right for your kitty and suits your budget too.
- The 10 Best Cat Doors of 2022
- 1. Ideal Pet Products Designer Series Ruff-Weather Cat Door
- 2. PetSafe Wall Entry Cat Door with Telescoping Tunnel
- 3. Depets Magnetic Cat Flap Door with 4 Way Lock
- 4. The Kitty Pass Interior Cat Door
- 5. PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor for Cats | Collar Activated with SmartKey
- 6. Cat Mate Large Cat Flap Door
- 7. Cathole Interior Cat Door With A Grooming Brush
- 8. SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap | 4 Way Lock
- 9. Purrfect Portal Interior Cat Door
- 10. Perfect Pet TubbyKat Cat Door with 4 Way Lock
- Our Buyer’s Guide for Cat Doors